Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What the heck is a Wiki?

Since enrolling in this course my ego has taken a considerable beating. In my daily life I am considered the king geek. Any question in the realm of technology is mere child's play. In this course I am somewhat of a lesser geek, possibly a serf-geek or peon-geek. As I listen to my peers I hear words such as Avatar and Wiki. I feel like a cobol programmer at a .net users group (geek humor.) To educate myself I googled "What the heck is a Wiki." The websites found ranged anywhere from a theoretical physics display to an online encyclopedia. I did find one site that explained it rather well. It had examples and actual code available for download. For the rest of you simple-geeks here is the definition of a wiki along with the URL to actually see one:

'Wiki' is a composition system; it's a discussion medium; it's a repository; it's a mail system; it's a tool for collaboration; it's a cult. Really, we don't know quite what it is, but it's a fun way of communicating asynchronously across the network.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

1 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Lisa Dawley, Ph.D. said...

I like your sense of humor :)

Wikis are very "hot" right now in k-12 education. They empower kids to create and research various topics of interest.

Keep you eyes and ears open--you'll be seeing "wikis, podcasts, and blogs" all over the place in the coming year as the latest and greatest in internet technologies for k-12 learning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home